WhatsApp is one of the most popular social networking apps. However, there is a risk that your information, conversations and important documents may be leaked. To avoid this risk, your account privacy should be protected to prevent hackers. Below are top 10 tips to protect your privacy on WhatsApp :
- 1 Download and install WhatsApp Update to smart phone here:
- 2 1 . Check if your conversations are encrypted
- 3 2.Activate 2-step verification
- 4 3. Enable security notifications
- 5 4. Disable cloud backup
- 6 5. Stay alert to scams
- 7 6. Use official WhatsApp website
- 8 7. Check if you are sharing your current location
- 9 8. Block contacts
- 10 9. Leave a group
- 11 10. Hide your avatar
Download and install WhatsApp Update to smart phone here:
- Download WhatsApp on Android Free here.
- Download WhatsApp on iOS Free here.
- Download WhatsApp on Windows Phone Free here.
- Download WhatsApp on Mac or Windows PC Free here.
1 . Check if your conversations are encrypted
As default, WhatsApp usually encrypts conversations. However, we should re-check this status to avoid information leakage.
To check if your conversations are encrypted, go to a contact, tap their contact name and tap Encryption.
A security code will appear, check the security code by scanning the QR code or scanning your contact code by Scan Code.
2.Activate 2-step verification
To activate 2-step verification, go to Settings > Account > Two-step Verification > Activate.
Then follow the instruction to create a pin code. You can add an email address to restore the code in case you forget the pin code.
Every time you login to the application, WhatsApp will ask you to enter this pin code, which helps you protect your information from everyone. Now, no one can read your information when you let others hold your phone or when you lose your phone.
However, if you receive an email asking to disable two-step authentication that is not yours, do not click on links.
3. Enable security notifications
In order not to leak information, to keep the conversation secret anytime, anywhere, you should turn on privacy notifications.
To enable security notifications, follow these steps:
WhatsApp > Settings > Account > Sercurity > Show security notifications and slide the switch
4. Disable cloud backup
Google offers WhatsApp users unlimited free backup on Google Drive. However, please note that WhatsApp encrypts your chat, while Google’s drive backup is unencrypted. Therefore, to protect your information, you should disable cloud backup.
To disable auto cloud backup, follow these steps:
On iPhone: Go to WhatsApp > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Auto Backup > Off.
On Android: WhatsApp > Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat Backup > Backup to Google Drive > Never.
5. Stay alert to scams
Stay alert to stranger’s messages on WhatsApp.
Sometimes, these stranger’s messages can make your phone crash and your WhatsApp vulnerable to hack and important information leakage.
Some scams may mention to the payment of your account, but remember, WhatsApp is free to use.
6. Use official WhatsApp website
To use WhatsApp on your computer, you need to install WhatsApp on your mobile device first, then synchronize it with your computer. To be safe, you should use the official WhatsApp website on your computer.
7. Check if you are sharing your current location
WhatsApp allows you to share your location with your friends and family; however, if you want to protect your privacy and your location, it is important to check if you are sharing your location.
To do so, go to Privacy > Live location. After checking if you are sharing your location with any contact, just turn it off if needed.
8. Block contacts
If you do not want to chat with someone, you can block them on WhatsApp.
To block contact on whatsapp you perform the following steps :
- Tap Settings> Account> Privacy> Blocked> Add New ….
- Find the people you want to block, then click on the contact
You can also block a contact as follows :
- On iOS: Go to a conversation with that contact on WhatsApp, then click their user name on the top of the screen.Select Block this Contact. Select Block again to confirm to block that user.You can also go to Settings => Account => Privacy => Blocked > Add New….Find the user to be blocked.You can also use the following:
- In the conversation with the contact you want to block, click the contact’s name> Block Contact> Block or Report and Block.
- Select the Chat tab > then tap More > Contact Info > Block Contact > Block or Report and Block.
- To block a phone number, go to whatsapp and open the conversation with that phone number, tap Block > Block.
- On Android:
Go to a conversation with that contact, then click the three dot icon on the top right corner. Select Block and confirm. That user will be blocked.
Or go to Settings => Account => Privacy => Blocked Contacts.
Tap Add and find the user to be blocked.
You can also use the following:
- Open a chat with the contact, then tap Menu > More > Block > BLOCK.
- Open a chat with the contact, then tap the name of the contact > Block > BLOCK.
- To block a phone number , go to whatsapp and open the conversation with that phone number and press Block.
Read more: How To Unblock A Contact On WhatsApp.
9. Leave a group
WhatsApp offers a feature allowing you to create a group of many people; however, sometimes you may get bothered by frequent notifications from WhatsApp group. You can leave a group any time you want.
Read more: How To Leave The Chat Group Whatsapp On Android, iOS, PC
10. Hide your avatar
To protect your privacy on WhatsApp avatar, follow these steps:
Settings > Account > Privacy.
Select Profile photo, and select one of the three options
- Everyone : Everyone can see your avatar
- My contacts: Only users in your contact list can see your avatar
- Nobody : No one can see your avatar
Other contacts can only see default WhatsApp avatar.
Now you know the 10 tips to protect your privacy on WhatsApp , enjoy these useful features on WhatsApp!
Subscribe us for more tech tips and news.Share and rate the article if you find it useful. Thank you so much.